Monday, July 23, 2012

WOW----AMAZING

Srta. Fimmen here, and we are having an AWESOME time! Everyone is smiling and enjoying taking in all of these new experiences. I can't even begin to explain how amazing it is to watch the kids interact, chat, play and become friends with the kids their own age from Guatemala. We saw this for the first time today at the school, Santa Catarina. I was fortunate enough to witness this today during 'refraccion', or recess/snack. I walked out to the group of girls, and they were teaching each other different games with a giant stretchy band. Turns out, they are the exact same game, just with different names! There are so many cool things happening here, and this is just one example. After school today, a group of us went to Don Francisco's house and learned all about Guatemalan Jade. First of all, this man is one of the coolest guys i've ever met! He welcomed us into his home and made us feel like family. He has worked with jade for 43 years! We each picked a piece of jade and learned how to sand, polish and drill a hole through the piece. So awesome!! These are just 2 of the amazing things happening here! I will write more, but for now, time for BED! Time for Beth too...!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Please pass along this message from me to the group. Sounds like you're all having a great time!

    I am so happy for all of you that you are getting to have this experience. I traveled to Common Hope last summer with my 12-year-old daughter Sammie, Mr. Hegland, Ms. Hupp and some other EP teachers. We had an incredible time.

    I just want to tell you that my daughter continues to talk about her trip to Guatemala all the time. It was an experience that shaped her, affected her, and will stay with her forever. She did many of the things you're doing including helping to build a house, working at a couple different schools, playing with the preschool kids, and doing some arts and crafts projects. Anyway, I'm sure you all already know how lucky you are to be having this experience, but I just wanted to be one more person to remind you! :)

    Have a blast, thank your teachers and parents whenever you can, soak up the culture, meet some new friends, take lots of pictures, and keep writing! We all love to hear what you're doing.

    Take care!

    Mr. Kreie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah ! And Everyone Else!!

    It sounds like you are having a wonderful experience there. How cool to take yourselves and share some 'American' things , while at the same time learning about another culture! I'm guessing a few 'ah HA ' moments among the group...... How lucky you ALL are to be there. I recall my only trip like this and know it changed me forever- relish your moments that are small now and might be big as you reflect.

    Jeanne ( Srta. Fimmen's madre)

    ReplyDelete