Thursday, August 15, 2013

From Srta. Fimmen (Sarah)

Wow this has been quite the week so far! The kids have done such an amazing job teaching in the schools and representing Minnesota here in Guatemala. Everyone has been thoroughly impressed with their Spanish! It is so cool to see these kids in a leadership role outside of their comfort zones. After the first day I was walking back to our home base with Nick and he couldn't stop smiling. He said something like, 'This day was so cool, all of the boys loved that I played soccer and they wouldn't stop talking about it. I loved today!" I love seeing these kids get along with their Guatemalan peers. This is one of my favorite parts of the experience.

The parents are doing great with their Spanish and are using it every chance they get. I have been on call to interpret for ordering food and buying things, but have not been needed much. Sam discussed and ordered coffee with Don Felix all by himself. I know it is difficult for some/most of them, but like I said, they are doing amazing. Way to go guys!!

Today I got the opportunity to interpret for a group at a day in the life of a jewelry maker. Braden, Kim, Kiersten, Nancy, Farida, Callista and I were welcomed into the home of Dona Concepcion. She is a mother of 9 children from ages 23 to 3, and she makes beautiful artisan products that range from jewelry to clay carved boxes. Her husband recently lost his job and the family's sole income now depends on the sale of her products. Her older son, Jose, makes and sells beautiful jewelry with jade, obsidian and other precious stones. We had a great visit and bought lots of stuff! While there, Callista decided she would like to sponsor the 9-year-old girl of the family. She, Concepcion, Jose and his son will be coming here at 2:30 to meet her! Callista said, "if I babysit my little brother 2 times each month, i'll have enough money to sponsor Rosalia and save a little bit too". Way to go girl! 

It's so cool to watch these kids as their eyes are opened to a bigger world out there. I remember my first trip out of the country to Lima, Peru when I was 16. My life was forever changed (hence the fact that I'm here at the moment). So excited to be a part of this trip. What an amazing opportunity for these kids and their awesome parents. Thanks parents for traveling here with them and encouraging a life changing experience!













No comments:

Post a Comment